Sunday 1 June 2008

IC gets RIBA award

I'm going to use a real local phrase now - I'm dead chuffed that the Information Commons has won a prestigious RIBA award. Only two were awarded in Yorkshire this year. Congratulations to all of the Design Team - the architects RMJM (especially Matt and Colin) and the University clients of CiCS, the Library and Estates. The building will now go forward for a national prize, the winners of which will be announced at an awards dinner in London at the end of this month. I will be shopping for my new posh frock shortly, and am wondering if we win will I get a chance to do my Gwyneth Paltrow impression and cry profusely whilst thanking everyone? I suspect not!

The building is a source of delight and pride to all of us who were involved in its conceptualisation and design - and what's more important, the students love it as well, which is after all who it was designed for. It was a true partnership between CiCS and the Library, and we're really pleased that the judging panel were so impressed with it. So, fingers crossed for the end of June, but we are up against some stiff competition, including St Pancreas Station and Terminal 5!

Edit: Press release just issued by the University

No comments: